Feb 15, 2007

Shavige Payasa (Vermicelli sweet dish)


Being a traditional (hyuck hyuck) south Indian I want to embark on my food journey with a sweet. I choose Shavige Payasa because its my all time favourite.
Six years later I finally got around to updating the picture on this post. A well deserved one if you had seen my earlier pic. And this time around my darling dotzy helped me make it. We made it as Prasadam for Krishna Janmashtami. Her first dish and really my first too. I was this kid who did not like any South Indian snacks. Pongal, Uppit, Dosa, Idli, Chapathi would all make me want to starve than torture myself into eating them. After endless evenings of making the Shavige payasa for me as a substitute snack she found it wiser to teach me to make it. So everytime I came home from school to inedible snacks as mentioned above I would just make myself yummy Shavige payasa! Its a totally different story that my daughter does not share my sweet-tooth gene. She had to be implored to eat the prasadam! But the recipe is a keeper. Its easy to make!


What you need to prepare Shavige Payasa

1 cup Vermicelli
3 cups + 1 tbsp Milk
1 - 1 1/4 cups Sugar
10 Almonds blanched, skin removed and cut into smaller chunks (optional)
10 Pista blanched, skin removed and cut into smaller chunks (optional)
10 Cashews
10 Raisins
5-6 strands Saffron
4 tsp Oil/Ghee

Preparation

If not already broken, break the vermicelli sticks to pieces of half an inch to one inch long.
Heat the ghee in a heavy-bottomed vessel and fry the cashews in it. Remove and keep aside.
Put in the vermicelli into the vessel and saute in ghee till it roasts a little and a nice aroma emanates from it.Remove from flame and keep aside
Soak the saffron threads in a tbsp of warm milk for 10 minutes. Crush the strands in the milk

Method to make Payasa

Pour the milk imto the heavy bottomed vessel and bring it to a boil on medium flame.
Add the roasted vermicelli and allow to cook in the milk till it gets cooked and becomes soft to the touch. This  takes about 10 minutes. Alternately cook the vermicelli in 1 1/2 cups of water and then add 1 1/2 cups of milk to it.
Add the sugar and allow it to dissolve. Stir a few times.
Add the almonds,pista, cashews, saffron and dried grapes and cook together for another 5 mins.

Shavige Payasa is ready to eat.
Some like it hot , some like it cold, some like it in a biiiig cup lukewarm :)
And oh, if you dont want it too liquidy reduce the quantity of milk

5 comments:

  1. I am sure you must have got hungry by the time you finished this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great just what I wanted, have been myself looking around for recipes to get better at my cooking skills, jiyo girl, keep up the good work :)..

    Request: Can I have the Rasam recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The previous comment was for the previous blog, now comments for this one:

    Shavige payasa picture looks yummyyyy, will try this out soon.......Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanai : i was (c)ravenous man...u knw me too well :)
    swati : will do...rasam coming up next....better still what would make sense is how to make the rasam powder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. here is another variation. instead of milk use condensed milk. omit the sugar. tastes great!! for half kilo seviyan you can use one tin of condensed milk.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...